Thailand shopping – With various high quality shopping malls and department stores as well as multifarious local markets, Thailand is a place always ready to blow away your baht. Here in Thailand, you can find almost every thing you want like exquisitely crafted handicrafts, superb antiques, electronic equipment, gorgeous artworks, everyday clothing and etc.
What to buy
1. Thai Silk
Thai silk had recognized by the whole world with the introduction by Jim Thompson. And before that, it had already been famous in Asia with the beautiful appearance and outstanding quality.
2. Jewelry or Gold
In Thailand, there are some places are rich in resource of jewels like rubies and sapphires. And due to the face that Thai people like to keep
their money in gold, gold shops are easy to be found.
3. Wood Carvings
Wood carvings are made from raw wood and transformed into sorts of beautiful forms like animals, buildings and figures from ancient temples and palaces.
4. Ceramics & Pottery
You will be attracted by the sorts of beautiful forms, shapes and sizes of the Thai ceramics and pottery.
5. Dried Fruits
If you are totally keen on the exotic fruits in this tropical country, and want to bring some to your friends and relatives, the dried fruits will be your best choice. Easy to carry and won’t go bad for a short time.
1. Bargaining is a must when buy things in Thailand. Although large department stores and malls have fixed prices, street vendors and markets always set their prices higher.
2. Never let a tout or a newly-made friend take you to shop, because they will take commissions from the stores, which is paid by you.
3. Be extremely careful when purchase valuable items like gems. You should go to large malls, not a general souvenir store with cheaper price.
4. Learn to compare items and prices between several shops.
5. Require a receipt for goods after your shopping and make sure it is correct.
6. Without the approval of the Fine Arts Department in Bangkok, you have no right to take the images of Buddha, deities and antiques out of Thailand.